The History of The Ardmore
The building that is now The Ardmore was originally built in 1867 by a Woodstock businessman named Oscar Freeman as his home. Mr. Freeman passed away in 1912 and the home was sold to and then transferred a number of times between members of the Gillingham family, who originally owned F. H. Gillingham & Sons General Store, the oldest general store in Vermont. The home was purchased in 1994 by Father William P. Gallagher, the priest at Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church in Woodstock. He immediately transferred ownership of the property to the Tully Family Trust. The home was then renovated and began operating as The Ardmore in the fall of 1994. The name Ardmore means ‘Great Height’ in Celtic and, since Father Gallagher was the first generation son of Irish immigrants, all the rooms were given names associated with Father Gallagher’s family.
Today The Ardmore is owned and operated by Charlotte and Cary Hollingsworth, flatlanders transplanted from Southern California. Charlotte previously managed an independent bookstore in Montrose, California and Cary is a retired biology teacher. We decided that we wanted to live where the seasons change, where the pace of life is a bit slower and where the fall foliage is magnificent. In January of 2003 we found Woodstock and The Ardmore and began our new life as Innkeepers on July 1, 2003.
We invite you to visit Woodstock, Vermont and The Ardmore.